Thursday, June 25, 2015

Salvation 2

It's a big year in the Summerlin home! Jared has followed his brother's footsteps and has chosen to follow Christ! The boys have been attending VBS this week at a local Baptist church. This evening, Jared told me that Jesus died on a cross, but then he came back to life and went to Heaven. I replied with, "I know! Isn't that awesome?" and he said, "How did you know that?" 

Oh my heart!

I told Jared that if he believes that Jesus was sent from Heaven, that he died on a cross and came back to life and now is in Heaven, then he will go to Heaven too. He said he believed and he wanted to pray. So we prayed. But he asked for some help. :)

I told him that if he's ready to pray to God and tell him that he believes and wants God in his life, that the words have to come from his own heart. I asked him what he knows in his heart. He said Jesus came from Heaven and died on a cross. He came back to life and went to Heaven again. I told him that's all he needs to say to God. So he did and he asked God to be in his life forever. 

And then he looked at the clock. "OK! I guess I'm going to Heaven now!" I told him that God still has things on Earth for him to accomplish, but when he's done, then Jared will go to Heaven. I told him I'd like for him to stick around on Earth a little bit longer so I can play with him some more. :)

He went to tell the good news to Daddy. "I'm going to live with God in Heaven!"

It doesn't surprise me in the least that Jared has chosen to believe that Jesus is our Savior. It doesn't surprise me that he wants to live the life God has for him. A small part of me is relieved that this part of the journey is done. Because I know no matter what, God's got him. But I also know, having been a follower since I was 6, that this part, this prayer, this was the easy part. I look at my two older sons and I pray fervently for them. I know that believing in God and having His protection means their eternity is known. But it doesn't mean Satan will leave them alone while they are still on Earth. There is a battle raging all around us. We may not see the demons and the angels, but we see their effects. We see the miracles and we see the crimes. We see the love and the pain. My prayer is that Larry and I can raise Warriors ready for the battles they will face. Because they will face battles. Believing Christ is our savior marks you. The neighbors may not know, but Satan does and he will do everything in his power to make my sons do more damage for him than good for God. 

So tonight I praise our Heavenly Father. I thank him for these two sons and for giving them hearts that are open to his Love and Grace. I thank our church and the churches in our community that love our children and teach them about God's love. And I pray. I pray for protection for their souls while they do God's work on Earth. I pray for wisdom as their parents that we continue to raise them and equip them for the battles they will face. I pray for these Mighty Warriors. 


No comments: